Thursday, August 12, 2010

Fresh Summer Corn, Shrimp & Chicken Cake with a Thai Twist

Recipes 4 Every Kitchen
 During the day I find myself staring into the depth of my computer screen searching for inspiration on what to make for that nights dinner, or dreamily thinking of the next dinner party I am going to throw. Recipes 4 Every Kitchen is a wonderful blog to get some quick and easy ideas from. In fact just the other day when I was there I found this wonderful recipe for savory cakes made with corn, shrimp & chicken!!!!! I would have never thought to add chicken and shrimp together but, it was AMAZING and I will do it again and again.
 There are a few easy changes that I made to the original recipe like using fresh corn and yellow onion (I did not have the green like the recipe called for...) We had them over some Olivia's Spring Mix; however, they would also make an awesome sandwich or if made bite size a great appetizer. Thinking of that maybe I will add them to the menu for this weekend!


Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, skinless boneless
9oz/250g raw shrimp, peeled & deveined 

1 egg white
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-3 tbsp Thai red curry paste (the more you use the hotter it is, I used 3tbsp :)
2oz/50g fresh Panko breadcrumbs
4 ears of fresh native corn
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
4 green onions (spring onions), sliced
2 tbsp sunflower or canola oil
1 lime, cut in wedges to serve
Sweet Chili Sauce:
4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Asian fish sauce
2” piece cucumber finely chopped
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C and line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup.

1. Roughly chop the chicken breasts and place in the bowl of a food processor. Add the shrimp, egg white, garlic and curry paste. Process until finely chopped.

2. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the breadcrumbs, corn, cilantro and green onions and mix well.

3. Using wet hands, shape the mixture into patties (The orginal recipe called for 16 but, I made 8.)

4. 
To make the chili sauce: mix the 3 sauces together in a bowl and then add the cucumber (if using). Set aside.

5. Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium high heat. Add the patties a few at a time and cook for 1-2 minutes per side, until golden brown.

6. Bake the cakes for 18- 20 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve over some Olivia's Spring Mix with lime wedges and the sweet chili sauce .

No comments:

Post a Comment